how to use” the”
1.when we know sth , we use ” the” and when we don’t know it , we use ” a ” or ” an “
ex) i saw a man in the street .( we don’t know that man so we used ” a ” )
ex) I saw a man in the street . the man was Mr. shomali.
I want to buy a car. I saw several cars in the auto gallery but I loved the car with turbo charger .
- when there is ” of ” ex) the leg of my chair ex) the united states of America ex) the people of china
3. we can’t use ” the ” with nouns ( normally ) but there are some exceptions. note that we use ” the ” with plural nouns ex) the bahamas but we cant say the Paris because the ” s ” at the end of Paris is not for plural
ex) the carrots . the computers . the alps , the Netherlands , the Bahamas
4. we use ” the ” with oceans + rivers + seas + desrets + canals
ex) the pacific ocean . the nile , the panama canal , ……
5. with the nouns that everyone knows that noun and there is only one of them
ex) the Eiffel tower , the hidden park , the elgoli park , the empirate state building ex) The Pope is visiting Russia.
ex)The moon is very bright tonight.
6. with parts of the day
ex) in the morning , in the after noon , in the evening
7.before some adjectives when we want to talk about a group of people
ex) the poor = all the people who are poor
ex)the young= all the people who are young
ex)The wolf is not really a dangerous animal. (= Wolves are not really dangerous animals.)
ex)life can be really hard for the poor .
ex)The kangaroo is found only in Australia. (= Kangaroos are found only in Australia.)
ex)The heart pumps blood around the body. (= Hearts pump blood around bodies.)
8.with a last name when we want to talk about whole family
ex) the madadis = whole the family of madadi
9.when we want to talk about the directions
ex) the east , the west , the south…..
- with the musical instruments ex) the piano , the guitar
ex)mahdi plays the piano really well.
11.with a superlative adjective ex) mahdi is the richest boy in the class.
ex) hadi is the youngest boy in the class
ex) the einestain book is the best.
12.to refer to a system or service:
ex)I heard it on the radio.
ex)You should tell the police.
13.if a country has ” kingdom , state , rebulic
ex)the People’s Republic of China ex) the Kingdom of Bhutan
- we cant use ” the ” before months , days , years ex) the sundays( wrong ) ===> on sundays
- with famous buildings : ex\) the tajmaha
- with newspaper names ex ) the newyork times
for countries with ” kingdom ” or ” states ” or ” republic ” : ex )the islamic republic of Iran
- to show geography properties : ex ) names of the mountains , rivers , canals , seas, oceans ….
- we don’t use ” the ” with the names of cities ex) i go to new york